Disclaimer:

Disclaimer: This is not an official Fulbright Program blog. The views expressed are my own and not those of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State, or any of its partner organizations.

Friday 18 February 2011

Frites with Sauce

This evening, I’ll be departing for a 13-day adventure across 4 countries.  The destinations include:

Brussels, Belgium (sadly, only for 1 night)
Berlin, Germany (4 nights)
Prague, Czech Republic (4 nights)
Krakow, Poland (3 nights)

My goals are to see as much as possible and have a good time, of course, but also to spend more than 650€, including all travel, lodging, food, etc.  That equals exactly 50€ a day.  I don't think it will be all that difficult, considering that Eastern Europe is ridiculously cheap.  For instance, I’ll be staying in a hostel in Poland that offers free breakfast, dinner, and beer tastings for….are you ready for this?…15 a night. Reee-diculous.  Secondly, I have sought out the cheapest means of transport.  The journey from Prague to Krakow, for example, will be a 9.5-hour bus ride, departing at 5:30 am. I’m strangely excited about it.  Lastly, I’ll economiser by passing up the finer cuisine of the places I’m visiting.  I definitely want to taste some of the local flavor, but said flavor will most likely be more of the street vendor variety than that of nice restaurants.  Fortunately, my friend and fellow assistant Colbern, who is travelling to Brussels and Berlin with me, is on the same page.  In planning for our upcoming adventure last night, I had the following Skype conversation with her…

C:  So are you cool with having frites (french fries) for dinner tomorrow night?
Me:  Yeah! Just curious…why frites?
C:  Brussels is famous for them!
Me:  So literally just french fries?
C:  You can choose what sauce you want.
So, for the next 13 days, my version of fancy eating will include choosing between the mysterious pink sauce and the mysterious white sauce.  Bring on the frites!

No comments:

Post a Comment