Disclaimer:

Disclaimer: This is not an official Fulbright Program blog. The views expressed are my own and not those of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State, or any of its partner organizations.

Sunday 6 March 2011

Krakow

When I arrived in Krakow after a somewhat complicated bus ride, I was dead-set on having a quiet night of reading at the hostel.  Leave it to a bit of Krakow spirit and a lively group of Australians, one of whom was celebrating a birthday, to change those kinds of plans.  I had only been in Krakow a few hours when I found myself in the midst of a circle of my fellow hostellers, with the girl who had checked me in bringing everyone a round of drinks.  A couple of hours later, I was in a Krakow nightclub called Prozac (not even kidding), being instructed on how to salsa dance by an Argentinian.
Needless to say, it was a late night, and I must admit that I struggled to wake up for my eleven o’clock tour of the city.  But I soldiered on and spent the day visiting the Town Square, the Wawel Royal Castle, & the Jewish Quarter.  I also managed to squeeze in a lunch of pierogi, or Polish dumplings, which are ridiculously delicious and became the only thing I wanted to eat for the rest of my stay in Poland.  After such a full day, I stuck to my guns and stayed in that night, trying to prepare myself for the next day’s visit to the Auschwitz concentration camp.
The visit was a really difficult experience, but a really valuable one (more about that to come later…an experience like that definitely deserves an entire post).  It was a very strange, even guilt-inducing experience to spend a part of my time in Krakow at a bar, dancing with my fellow hostellers, and another part of my time making that haunting visit to Auschwitz.  But after thinking about it for a while, I decided that one of the many things we can learn from such a visit is that we would be insane to not appreciate and really live each day of freedom that we have.  If that involves having a good time with a group of people who come from all over the world, peacefully enjoying their company despite differences in nationality, age, and culture, then that’s all the better.
So, on that note, I spent my last night in Krakow dining and dancing with my hostel friends.  I was sad to leave the next day, not only ending my wonderful experiences in Krakow, but also my trip as a whole.  Fortunately, I was able to return to France with the happy knowledge that it had been a completely incredible trip.  On one hand, my thirteen days of travel flew by quickly.  On the other hand, I felt like I had been gone for weeks, judging by the amount of places I saw, the number of amazing people I got to know, and the bit of wisdom I think I gained.  If that doesn’t make for a perfect trip, I don’t know what does.

No comments:

Post a Comment